Monday, July 22, 2013

"The Big Trip" (post by Henry)

On July 12th, my Grandpa and I went on a trip down to Chattanooga, Tennessee. This is me next to a bat near the Slugger museum. 

 This is called The Big Bat. It's a recreation of the bat that Babe Ruth had made in his honor. It leans against the Slugger museum.
 Here is Grandpa standing next to a statue of Derek Jeter, a Yankees player. At one part of the museum I got to hold Mickey Mantle's very own bat.
 At the Slugger museum we got a personalized bat that had my name on it.
 This is a picture of us at Mammoth Cave, outside, waiting for the tour to begin.
 This is inside Mammoth Cave, where the tour guide was showing us some parts where people dug for stuff to use to make things to live. It was completely dark, and it's so big that explorers have still not found an ending to the cave.
 Here is an old locomotive that we rode one day all the way from Chattanooga to Summerville, Georgia and back.
 They did a runway and I got quite a few good pictures.
 Here is Grandpa on the train. He looks kind of funny.
 Here is a cannon in front of a civil war museum. I hope it doesn't blast me!
 This is over Lookout Mountain, and I got a really good view. The river in the picture is the Tennessee River that goes right near Chattanooga.
 This is me and Grandpa next to a cannon that was over Lookout Mountain. I told Grandpa not to get right in front of the hole, 'cuz then he would fall off Lookout Mountain.
 Here is a gravestone of the Great Train Chase at the National Cemetery in Chattanooga.
 Here is on the Southern Belle, which we had a river cruise and had dinner on.
 Here is Grandpa in front of a fountain in front of the Tennessee Aquarium.
 Here is a macaw (I think, but I'm not sure) in the Tennessee Aquarium.
 Here is a butterfly in an exhibit at the aquarium.
 Here is a penguin that swam right by me.
 Here I am in a shark tank, completely oblivious to the shark coming up behind me.
 Here is a shark that was swimming right above me.
 Here are some crabs that were right inside this little tube and one was coming right at me.
 Here is a fish that I thought was pretty cool because it was pretty much all black except for the fish that was completely standing out.
 Here are some turtles that I found sitting right next to each other. One of them was looking at me. The other was trying to crawl away.
 Here is our hotel room with me on the bed. It was an old train car. We were in Chattanooga because we were going to see a Lionel train convention. The hotel had its own train set, which was smaller, well, the train gauge was smaller, but the whole set was still very very big.
 After our whole trip Grandpa got me a Penn Flyer, a model train set, that I am sitting next to here. It is an old locomotive that goes around in an oval. It has a billboard, and some telephone poles to go with it.
That was the greatest trip ever! I feel so happy and I'm going to say thank you to Grandpa about a million times the next time I see him!

2 comments:

joyceetta said...

Henry.....I LOVED seeing all the good photos you took and reading your commentary. It sounds as if you had a great trip with your Grandpa. I am so happy that you got to do this. That photo of you in the shark tank with the shark right behind you kind of scared me!

Anonymous said...

Henry: What a great story about the trip. You don't need to thank me. I should be the one thanking you for the chance to spend a week with such a terrific young man.

Grandpa Bill