Thursday, April 15, 2010

Haphazard Communiqué

I guess I'll just start with this picture of Clara from Easter Sunday. This is how she looked when she awoke from her nap that day. Take special note of the fabulous hairdo.
This is a most common sight in our yard these days. Some flowers are up, the redbud is budding and the squirrels still think they must fatten themselves at the feeder.
Last Sunday Henry took it upon himself to disassemble the paper and take a section off to read.
This is the non-canned (BPA free) variety of chopped tomatoes I found, for a bit more money at Whole Foods a while back. I will be employing their service with some chicken tonight. I still have not found jarred tomatoes anywhere...except for in sauce and paste form. Even this brand didn't have whole tomatoes, or at least WF wasn't stocking them. Anyone else have luck in the BPA-free tomato arena? Maybe I'll have better luck with my garden tomatoes this year. The challenge is finding a spot with enough sun...and last year was just so cold for most of the summer.
Here are the makings for the morning concoction which keeps me away from Starbucks. I hated buying the plastic gallon of milk yesterday, but we're using more milk at home these days. I suppose I could still just get two half-gallons in paper or glass. How do you combat this issue at your house? Also if you see any more Smurf glasses like this at your local 2nd-hand shop I would take one or two...my birthday happens to be coming up.
Last night was the start of my new knitting class. I was so excited! It was very pleasant to be able to walk to and from the class. Turns out the other women (about 7 or so, plus 2 teachers) have been in the class together for a while, so they were all very chatty with each other and very welcoming of me. There is one other woman about my age with a 2-year-old daughter, so that's nice. We all sat around and worked on whatever we worked on while the teachers floated about and helped us with whatever we needed. I spent the first hour working on a baby blanket and getting my bearings. One of the teachers is Adrienne, whose youngest son was in my first kindergarten class ten years ago. She made me knit a gauge swatch for my new project since it's a fitted garment (a dress for Clara). After I did that I just had time to cast on. Here's the yarn:
And here are the obligatory pictures of the kids. Clara was playing a little bit of shopping cart this morning.
And Henry was trying to stay in his pajamas as long as he could. He was playing his mini pinball game here, but you can't see the game.
The weather should be really nice today. We're trying to decide what to do with it. We'll probably go to a park, but we haven't decided yet which one. I suspect there my also be a walk to the ice cream store in our future. If I get the call I'm expecting from The Book Bin we'll have to practically walk past the ice cream on the way to the store...what could be better than ice cream and a new book on a lovely day?

3 comments:

amber c. said...

what a nice, well-rounded update. glad your class went well! we've already been out for one walk and hope for another today -- it's gorgeous! perfect for ice cream!

Sarah said...

I buy 3 half-gallons (two skim, one 2%) of milk in glass bottles every Monday, and usually go to the store again on Thursday to buy at least one more half-gallon of skim. I just don't have room in my fridge for any more bottles at once!

Sandy said...

We buy two 1/2 gallons of whole milk in glass bottles each week. You can compost your paper cartons, but after a while, that really fills up the compost bin.

Good for you for taking a knitting class! I think it will really help you start to feel more confident in what you can do!