Thursday, October 13, 2011

Clara's First Field Trip

On Tuesday I had the honor of going along with Clara on her first field trip. At first she wasn't sure she wanted to allow me to sit with her on the bus, but there were so many chaperones along that most of the kids sat with their own parents. However, the bus was so packed that even though this other sweet little girl's mom was along, she sat in a different seat.
 It was a 45 minute bus ride to the pumpkin patch. Along the way I was texting Pete "surely they could have found a closer pumpkin patch?" But once we were there I could see that it was worth the wait. We started out with lunch, then a nice movie about farming and growing pumpkins. Then we jumped on this hay rack ride.
 From the ride we could see "Happy Jack" up on the big silo. He's been there for about 30 years, if I heard the movie right.
 This pumpkin patch was way more than a pumpkin patch. They had several tents of interesting animals as well.
 And there was this bizarre robotic pumpkin-eating 'dinosaur'. I thought I had a good video of this thing grabbing a pumpkin and crunching it, but I messed up. When Henry looked at the pictures he said "that doesn't look like a dinosaur!"
 There were also giraffes. ?
 Clara and I spent quite a lot of time giving the giraffes carrots.
 At the end we went through a corn maze and then each kid got to choose their own pumpkin, gourd and piece of Indian corn to take home.
 And we spotted the Great Pumpkin on the way out!
I was worn out, and wanted to take Clara home with me so we could both nap. Unfortunately I had a class to get to and had to leave her at school for her dad to pick her up later. She was happy as could be to give me a kiss and send me on my way! Such a big girl.

No comments: