Saturday, October 01, 2011

Fun Run

Henry's been asking if he could participate in this year's HOH run. Our district sponsors a 5k run/walk to raise money for a scholarship fund and it's named after a former superintendent (Homer O. Harvey). Henry wanted to do the kid's fun run because he knew he'd get a medal for it. I signed Clara up too, because I knew if Henry was doing it she would want to also. Here they are before the race. Everyone was #1.
 
There was a pre-race warm-up with Ronald McDonald. Clara wasn't too sure how she felt about that whole situation. Frankly, neither was I.
  
The beginning of the race was disorganized and chaotic. You can see Clara and Henry in their gray and pink. I think Clara was just trying to keep an eye on her brother. 
 Henry was actually very sweet. He wanted to run, and he did, but he kept checking back to see that Clara was okay...even though she was at the very end. Once he saw that some bigger girls- race volunteers- had taken Clara under their wing Henry took off.
 Here he comes! You can see Clara off in the distance.
 The boy does not know how to be cool for the camera.
 Here comes Clara, bringing up the rear with the race volunteers who somehow also got roped into pushing a double stroller?
 Here comes Henry across the line!









And here I am bringing Clara across the line. In my defense, I was wearing a big bulky sweatshirt under that fleece. (I know, I know...I need to be doing some running myself. (And now I sound like my dad. Hi Dad!))
 
Here are two proud kids with their medals!
 I was so proud of them for wanting to do this, and especially proud of Henry for the way he looked out for his sister instead of just worrying about how he did in the race. It was nice that they didn't do times for the fun run and that all of the kids got medals. He knew that going into it, so he was less competitive than he might have been.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think Zach's main motivation for running races is for the medals, too. I wonder at what age they'll outgrow that? It's very sweet that Henry was looking out for Clara- what a good big brother!

amber c. said...

very cool! and also somewhat brings back horrific timed mile memories from – what? – grade school? xoxo!