Thursday, June 12, 2008

Floods and Sedaris

My hometown is flooding again. You can read more about it here. And they're under another tornado watch, as I type. So are we. Do you think Mother Earth is trying to tell us anything?
Here's a photo of the water coming over the spillway (in the distance). When the water came over in 1993 and crashed through this foreground area it uncovered a large fossil bed. This is now known as the Devonian Gorge. I'm curious what will be uncovered this time.
Here's an aerial shot of City Park. That structure at the top of the photo is the Shakespeare theater where Rob and Carrie were married. You can kind of tell, by the line of trees, where the river is usually contained.
Hopefully Rob will post some photos on his blog. He's been sandbagging and overseeing operations. I'm hoping he'll have some stories about any crazy hijinx those Hawkeye football volunteers might have been involved in.

So, in other life, last night I went to see David Sedaris do a reading in Evanston. I didn't know he was going to be there until I saw a friend mention it on Facebook around 3 yesterday afternoon. I inquired and she said she had a wristband for signing if I wanted to meet her down there. I jumped at the chance. I had never seen Sedaris before and I hadn't seen Natalie for a couple of years either!
The place was packed. I grabbed a wristband on the way in, in case Natalie and I didn't hook up. I'm glad we found each other, though- because her wristband was gold- meaning we were in the first group. Mine was purple....and those people had to wait all the way downstairs.
I'm was lucky to get this picture. I couldn't actually see Sedaris for most of the reading. This was a taken before he started. Also, when I asked about photos later (hoping to maybe get a cheesy shot with him) I was told that he really wanted no pictures taken at all.
The reading was great. He did a question and answer session afterwards- in which he repeatedly gave the advice to youngsters that they should have as much sex as they can while they're young and look better than they ever will again.
He had a short chat with each person who came through the signing line. Here's what he wrote in Natalie's book. *
He went on about it a little bit. Told her she should visit Pittsburgh because the women there have great natural breasts as well. Etc.
I'm curious what he wrote in the book of a woman who was near me during the reading. She tried to put something witty on her post-it for him to write, but it seems to me that that sort of defeats the purpose. "Here, famous humorist author, here's a funny thing you can write in my book!" I'm sure he disregarded it and wrote his own thing.
Natalie and I had a bite to eat afterwards and caught up on life in general. Some of you may remember that Natalie and I worked together at the Barnes & Noble cafe in IC, then she worked at Cambus for a bit as well. Now she's a manager at Starbucks. When I was in the hospital to deliver Henry she sent over a mocha-frappucino for me. Great gal!
I'll let you be the judge on her breasts.

*You may ask what Sedaris signed in my book. I had him sign it for my uncle who's about to turn 50 and seems like he could use a little levity. If you read the page from top to bottom it says "To Tom When You Are Engulfed in Flames on your 50th Birthday David Sedaris" I'm sure it was intended. I don't think Tom's a blog-reader, but if you are (Tom) sorry to spoil the surprise.

4 comments:

amber c. said...

i just went through the sad ICIA pix on pc.com too. and, i had no idea sedaris had a new book! i guess that would explain the tour! oh, i hope he comes here!

amber c. said...

alas, i checked, and no southern stops to speak of. however, this looks enticing! October 13, 2008 – Chicago, IL. Auditorium Theatre, 8 PM. Tickets will be on sale to the general public on June 20 and available by calling 312-902-1500, or online at www.ticketmaster.com, or in person at the Auditorium box office.

sarah90046 said...

The water in IC is nuts! One more weather oddity, eh? Glad you were able to see/meet Sedaris. He was on the Daily Show promoting the new book and I am looking forward to checking it out. Hey, if you remember, will you let me know when Tom's 50th is? I should know, but it escapes me. Thanks. xo, s.

Jennifer said...

sedaris: what fun! our local books-a-million is having a sale day tomorrow and that's the book i want to get. i'm with acc: poops for no southern tour stops. sad re: ICIA.

and last but not least: gorgeous kiddos you have!