Monday, June 16, 2008

Swim Lessons

Today was Henry's first day of swim lessons. We dropped Clara off with her grandparents to Henry and I could scope things out without distractions. Then he picked out which trunks he wanted to wear (the blue fishy ones) and we slathered on some sun screen and walked over to the pool.

Once inside I realized that I had written down the wrong time for lessons. I thought they started at 10:40, but that was actually the ending time! Ugh! This has got to be one of the worst feelings in parenting...when you get your kid all excited about something, make a big production out of it (like taking his picture in front of the sign) and then find out that you messed up and missed everything. I hate it so much! Fortunately we had planned (or so we thought!) to get there a little early- which left us 10 minutes to join the class. I felt a little goofy taking pictures, so I only got this one.
It was maybe an okay mistake as I would much rather we end something with Henry saying "I want to stay!" (as he did) than saying "I want to leave!!!" before time is up. Now I know he'll be excited to go tomorrow. He just loves any time he gets to be with other kids. He sat down on the side of the pool and immediately grinned around at his classmates.
And we were able to stay and play around in the "sprinkler park" or zero-depth, kiddie pool area. I didn't have a suit on, but I rolled up my pants and we played for a while anyway.
I can't believe how much my little guy is growing up. I get emotional thinking about how some day he won't want me to cuddle in bed with him, or hold his hand across the street. Some day he'll even move out of the house! How do mothers cope?!?? Already I understand that some day I will be needing grandchildren.

3 comments:

Carrie and Rob said...

You guys have a much sweeter pool than we do.

W.F. Decker said...

Yeah, ours is under flood water.

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Ooooooh. So cute. And I know what you mean about the accidental disappointments. And also what you mean about getting all emotional about them growing up. Doesn't make me think about eventual grandchildren cravings, though it does make me think it would be nice to put some extensions on our little family! heh! heh!