Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Memphis and Trash T.V. (2 posts in one)

Clara had a big first this weekend. We flew to Memphis to visit Amber and Adelaide. We got lucky and were able to have a seat for Clara on both flights! She loved it.
We got to Memphis on Thursday evening. Friday centered around a lunchtime trip to Gus's Fried Chicken. Here are Clara and I with the signature checked tablecloth.
Here's Clara trying to sneak some food off my plate. The fried pickles were long gone by this point.
Here's what Gus's looks like from the outside...should you ever be in Memphis. You could
accidentally drive right by. Don't.
Here's sweet Adelaide Jayne. We did lots of playing with blocks. I like to think I taught her to knock them down, but she may have just figured it out on her own. She's a pretty smart cookie. Clara and I got up early each morning of our visit. Clara likes her 6:20 AM waking time. She spent a lot of time with this little fishy toy of Adelaide's. I was quite taken with it as well. There was a springy device inside, which made it quite entertaining for us both.
On Saturday we ventured out again for some Vietnamese food at Saigon Le. I'm not sure this picture does it justice. It was spicy and delicious. Amber introduced me to the hot and sour soup, which had pineapple in it. Oh my yum!
When we got back to the car it was hailing, and shortly after it was doing this:
Snow in Tennessee! Clara and Adelaide decided to hold hands to comfort each other.
Sunday morning we awoke to this scene:
I turned on the morning news, which was mostly dominated by church closings. The newslady talked about how she was "iced in" to her car. Most of us would just say "my locks were frozen". There was also frequent footage from inside the car of one of the other newscasters...he was out doing donuts in the parking lot. They extended the newscast for an extra half hour to keep talking about the snow. There were many warnings to "stay home" because it was "treacherous"!
Adelaide and Clara just spent the day playing.
Here's where I slept. Clara spent some time in the bed with me....she had a lot of mommy leaving anxiety this weekend.
She did sleep in the pack-and-play though too. I think she felt comforted because the president was watching over her.
We spent a good chunk of time on Sunday saying "Hi!!!" to Adelaide. "Hi!!!!" in a funny squeaky voice is officially Clara's first word. Adelaide is officially the first recipient of the word.
I think they were both fairly entertained by the "Hi!!!" game.
We flew back home Sunday night. Henry had put on his pajamas before getting in the car, and it was a good thing because Pete had to circle for over an hour due to our flight getting delayed.
The kids were happy to see each other, though. Here they are yesterday afternoon.
Henry's been doing lots of drumming since we've been back. He's very serious about it.

And now for the second half of the post....Trashy T.V. Last night was supposed to be the final episode of The Bachelor With Jason Mesnick, Single Dad! I've been watching with a few friends most Monday nights. Kristy was the hostess and she set up a random pool. We kept track of the girls and the eliminations each week:
Kristy made romantic desserts for our final night.
There may also have been some drinking.
Here's my friend Julie. Her vest was soft of satiny. I told her I might want to use her as a pillow. This may explain the look she's giving me.
Here's Kristy showing off the quiz she made us take last night. Did I mention she's a fourth grade teacher? They love quizzes.
If you didn't watch The Bachelor last night, let me sum up. There was lots of this pathetic behavior:
Sarah won the kitty when Melissa got the final rose. Melissa, however, seems to actually be the loser...having been dumped later in the After The Final Rose ceremony.
And tonight there's more! It's like the "P.P.S." to the show. I'll have to watch, of course. But then, I swear....I'm done with this trash t.v. for good.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Trash TV is so addictive, isn't it? It's ridiculous! I think I'm done with The Bachelor, at least!

Anonymous said...

we missed you girls this weekend, but managed to have some fun at the children's museum without you (eleanor's favorite="big tubes" [those multi-colored nylon..er...tubes that fill up with air]).
did henry get a haircut?
i should also mention that when i got on the phone with my mom this evening at 9:30 she said, "you're calling during the after the final rose ceremony?"

amber c. said...

please fill me in on tonight's bachelor update. tho i didn't watch the season, grandma did so we watched last night. i agree with you on the pathetic behavior. and i thot molly would have been a stronger woman than she appears to be. hopefully she gave him the boot tonight.