Saturday, April 02, 2011

Tuesday (for the Potter Fans)

Tuesday was our day to visit Universal Islands of Adventure. When we started planning a trip to Florida I knew I couldn't miss out on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Pete and I debated whether we should take the kids, or have it just be a day for us. I really wanted the kids to see the Potter stuff, knowing that one day they will be reading the books too. The more we read about the park we knew there was lots of other cool stuff for them to experience as well.
After Henry helped us commit our parking spot to memory, we entered the park. Bright and early again...to avoid those lines! Peter and Mary took the kids in the direction of Jurassic Park while Pete and I hurried our way over to Hogwarts Castle.
The main attraction ride is called The Forbidden Journey. After being made to lock up any loose items in a locker, we headed through a long winding line. Much of the line went through the Hogwarts greenhouse.
I was getting very excited.
Once inside the castle, there are so many cool details from the books.
While we were lucky to have a relatively short line, it meant that we passed much too quickly through some parts of the castle. I could have spent much more time listening to and watching the portraits talk.
The Defense Against The Dark Arts classroom was where Harry, Ron and Hermione showed up to talk us into skipping out on a lecture and going to watch a Quidditch match. This is the last photo I have before that ride, which was very cool and very intense.
After Forbidden Journey we also rode the Dragon Challenge roller coaster. It's actually 2 coasters which intertwine. You have to pick which dragon you want to ride. We went for the Chinese Fireball and came back later for the Hungarian Horntail. After those rides we spent a bit of time in the shops of Hogsmeade. Here's the inside of Olivander's.
And here's Honeyduke's, where I bought a candy jar.
Here are Pete and I on the trail from the rollercoaster, with Hogwarts in the background.
After a bit we decided it wasn't going to work to bring the kids over to the Harry Potter area...it was just too crowded and crazy. So we went to meet them in Seuss Landing.
We found them enjoying a peanut butter sandwich and a rest.
Grandma and Bampa went off for a bite to eat while Pete and I took the kids on the Sneetches railroad ride, which was really fun.

Then we did the One Fish, Two Fish ride, which was a lot like Dumbo, but with different music and water-squirting fish. We snacked on some churros and an Icee while the kids played in the If I Ran The Zoo play area. The whole Dr. Seuss section of the park was really fun.
In the afternoon we went back to the timeshare and took a swim with the kids. Then Pete and I washed up and went back to Universal for a date night Hogsmeade style.

I love this picture of Pete because it reminds me that he'll not only tolerate, but enjoy and embrace my nerdy tendencies. He actually told me tonight that he feels inspired to finally read the Harry Potter books! :) This was our dinner at the 3 Broomsticks.
And here's a shot of the inside.
I enjoyed this sign out by the tables.
After dinner we went on the Flight of the Hippogriff ride, which we had skipped earlier. I really wanted Henry to be able to go on this ride with us- and he would have loved it. Hagrid's hut was along the path.
We got the front seat of this mild-ish rollercoaster. Here's a view of Hogsmeade village from the top of the ride.
Pete and I, again, in front of Hogwarts.
We decided to stand in line to see the wand-choosing act at Olivander's wand shop. It was pretty fun and made me want to buy a wand. Pete talked me out of it.
Then we went to the Hog's Head for a beer. We each had the Hog's Head ale. The head behind the bar would move, ever so subtly, every once in a while. I also liked how the beer tap-handles were aged.
Hogwarts at night.
The shops were all very cool looking. Here's Gladrags with Hermione's dress from the last movie in the window.
Here are some of the toys offered inside Zonko's Joke Shop. You could buy a Sneak-o-Scope or an Extendable Ear. There were a few cute things I could have spent some money on, but I had my new Potter jersey, so I stuck with that.
It was hard to keep the number of photos reasonable on this post, but I think that was more than enough for now....especially for those who don't care a bit about Potter! Come back soon for more Disney!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Anders and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all your pictures from your trip. Anders especially noticed that Uncle Pete has whiskers like his dad. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

amber c. said...

I'm glad you said "nerdy" before me. :)

Sarah said...

Awesome pictures! The whole Harry Potter set-up is so cool! What a fun trip!