Thursday, January 31, 2013

NAMM

 

On Friday we got up early to go get our badges so we could check out the NAMM show with Pete.  NAMM is National Association of Music Merchants. It's a pretty big trade show and isn't open to the public, so it wasn't easy or cheap to get us in. We had fun though!! I think Pete was a little anxious because of the crowd and the kids wanting to touch everything and the fact that he was technically working and supposed to be professional. I was glad the kids and Mom got to experience it though. (I've been able to go to the show before.) 
Mostly Henry just wanted to play some drums. 

 I would not be surprised at all if percussion is the musical path that our children take.
 Here's Clara by the Daisy Guitar (guitars for girls!) booth. I have mixed feelings about this gender-typing, but mostly I just love the guitars shaped like flowers and butterflies.
 After walking the show floor for a bit we left Pete to work and we took off for Downtown Disney, which is basically a big outdoor mall area with lots of Disney shops. I've always enjoyed this parrot outside the Rainforest Cafe, and the kids liked him too. My favorite is when the girl asks what his favorite animal is and the parrot says "crocodile!" You can tell, by the hoodies, that the weather was a little cooler and drizzly this day. Again- we made the right choice about Disneyland. (In case I didn't mention it before- I can't believe what a perfect day we had at Disneyland. There was absolutely no arguing or whining or "I'm tired!" or anything. We had so much fun. Yay.)
 We had lunch at a place called Tortilla Joe's (I think?) and the kids got fun balloon animals. Mom and I had margaritas, which were also fun. Frederick was a little cranky while we were there, but the restaurant staff were all very friendly and understanding.
 After shopping around the Disney shops and maybe buying a couple of things (Henry: giant pencil, Clara: flashing light bubble-gun) Clara wanted to check out the Build-a-Bear store. I told her we could go in, but we weren't going to get anything. I kind of lied. They had so many more options than the store we've been to here, and this dragon totally caught my eye. Since Frederick was born in the year of the dragon, and one of my favorite things Pete has said recently about Frederick is "it sounds like we're raising a baby dragon in here!" I had to get this guy for him. We named him Walter for Walt Disney. I don't quite understand his removable wings, but he's really quite adorable. Obviously Frederick loves him.
 The Lego store also had a really cool dragon up on top. This thing was huge.
 I also loved the Beauty and the Beast display outside.
 Inside we found Gandalf.

 And this is one of the new Lego Friends characters. Clara got a set with her (Olivia?) in it for Christmas. Again- gender typing...but they do it so well!

Friday afternoon the kids had asked and asked and asked if they could go swimming in the (outdoor) hotel pool. The weather was still cool and drizzly, but finally Mom relented and took them down to try out the hot tub. Of course it was too hot for Clara, and the pool was too cool for Henry, but I think they had fun anyway. There was already a band playing outside down there and people were starting to get back from being at the convention all day. When they got back, Pete and I went out by ourselves for dinner. We went to Roy's which is our favorite spot near the convention center. Sushi, Mai Tai's and hot lava cake for dessert. It was very nice to have some solo time...and to think about how one year ago I had just taken a pregnancy test and was, therefore, having virgin drinks and only cooked sushi. 
When we got back to the hotel it was a party everywhere. The pool bar was rocking and the indoor bar was crowded as well. We didn't see anyone we knew, but later- after I had gone to bed- Pete went back down to celebrate a bit with some coworkers. Shure won some tech award for best wireless sound system or something. I guess there was champagne and much revelry. I was fine in my bed, though. 
Next post: beach and Aunt Jean's house. 

No comments: