Thursday, January 31, 2013

Saturday in California

Saturday morning we woke up, packed up our hotel room and headed to Culver City where we found a cool little place to eat called the S&W Country Diner. We waited a bit, but had a lot of excellent food. 
 Then we drove up to La Brea to check out the tar pits. The LACMA is on the same campus as the tar pits and Page Museum.

This huge, suspended boulder is one of their outside exhibits. Look how super strong our kids are.

 The LACMA also had this outdoor installation. I don't know if it's permanent or what, but it's pretty cool.

The kids liked chasing each other around the poles.

I like how this picture looks like a giant baby being photographed by a very tiny woman.

This one is just sweet.

Less sweet is the dramatic life-size diorama of a mother mammoth being trapped in the tar while her  tiny little baby trumpets at her. It made me feel sad.

And I don't know what this is.

Later that day we drove up to Point Dume state beach. We timed it so we would get there at low tide. The light also happened to be quite nice. 


The baby didn't like it down on the beach, as it was chilly and fairly windy. Pete ended up taking him back up the hundreds of steep steps to hang out in the car. The kids and Mom and I continued to do a little exploring. 

Tide pools are one of my all time favorite natural phenomena. 

I asked the kids if they would give me a hugging picture. They were a little goofy about getting each other sandy. They are such siblings. 



After the beach we headed up to Aunt Jean's house. It was, obviously, her first time meeting Frederick. She had seen several pictures of him, though, and they were both looking forward to the meeting. I think they were quite fond of each other.

No comments: