Friday, April 13, 2007

Growing Boys, Sticks and Cows

Spaghetti was on the menu last night. Henry has become very inquisitive during dinner cooking time (as well as all other times). Last night he had some tastes of spaghetti before and after it was cooked. He much preferred the pasta cooked.
We got the absolute most out of the Children's museum this morning. We played, saw the chicks, did some art and listened to a musical performance by a brass quintet. Even after all that and lunch, Henry did not want to fall asleep at his usual time. So we spent a couple of hours outside. It's moderately warm again and hopefully for good. I planted my peas, carrots and some basil (what seeds I could scavenge after Henry dumped them in the carpet). I dug up a little yellow cow. We'll put this with the little army guy from last year and start a collection.
I took a tip from the Victory Garden book Ellen gave me last year (love it!) and stuck sticks in the ground to act as support for the peas...providing they actually grow. (I was so delighted to find this tip, as I will never forget that I lost my first little kitty, Gray, to a garden pea net.) I also used a legume powder to treat the pea seeds first. However, I didn't use any sort of fertilizer like the carrots called for. We'll see...it's a first real attempt at vegetable gardening for me.
I love the cute little bags-on-sticks signage, but if anyone has tips for a more permanent solution I'll take 'em.

3 comments:

amber c. said...

the only thing i could suggest with the signs is to "cover" the bags with packaging tape -- kind of like the "postcard" project i did in high school whereby we did collage on less than a 5.5" x 8.5" piece of cardboard and then covered the collage with packaging tape before mailing. it might make it waterproof for the season! i love the yellow cow photo. h looks so much more grown up than when we saw him jan. 1!

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

I agree with Amber: Henry looks so mature! As for the signage, I've painted on flat sticks before, and also bought little black signs that you can use white paint or chalk on. (Though this year, by the time I got around to chalking on them, I'd already forgotten which pots held what! Oy...) One last question, though... how does a kitty get lost in a pea net? (It's probably obvious that I've never seen a pea net, if I'm asking this question, but...)

Jennifer said...

hey betsy! great henry pictures and gardening (i hope to go there once we've moved and settled in tennessee). thanks much for the recipes, too, which came last week. yum, on both counts (pasta and brownies).