Saturday, May 01, 2010

Henry's First Hundred

Ever since losing his first two teeth and a recent break-in to his piggy bank to discover all of the money in there, Henry has been moderately obsessed with the concept of money. Mostly he likes to look at it. Sometimes he likes to trace the bills and make his own $100 to keep in his wallet. This morning Pete and I finally took him to the bank to open up his own account and deposit his bills. We made him clean up a bit for the occasion as well.
Henry walked up to the teller and said, in his small embarrassed voice, "I want to open an account." And then he stood there and jiggled his leg back and forth so everyone could hear the coins jangling around in his pocket. The teller was nice enough to notice. She said "Oh! I hear it in there!"
Henry was offered a drink while he sat at the big desk in the office. He also helped himself, quite delightedly, to a Tootsie Roll. Here he puts his new card into his wallet.
After filling out all of the appropriate forms we went back up to the counter to make the deposit. First Henry counted out all of his singles and a pile of quarters...just enough to make $100. Then we asked if he could trade that all in for a $100 bill.
Henry spent a lot of time inspecting both sides of the bill, before finally, reluctantly, handing it over.
He did get this nifty receipt, however, to show that he had made his deposit.
I wonder where he imagines that bill to be now. I always pictured that there was a vault at the bank designated just for my money and I pictured my stacks of bills sitting on pallets in the middle of the floor. Hopefully Henry's bill won't be lonely.

1 comment:

W.F. Decker said...

Way to go Henry. Maybe you can do some more jobs for me to earn money to deposit into your account. Maybe I can bring some euros home from my trip for you to deposit. I love you.

Your goofy Grandpa Bill