Sunday, May 16, 2010

Unattractive Pictures of Me

Henry's bike riding has been very exciting this weekend. He somehow went from a few unsteady pedals and crashing on Friday to zooming up and down the sidewalks on Saturday. I can't even believe it. He was easy to potty train too. Maybe it's his way of making up for his difficult entry into this world.
I thought I'd update a bit about mother's day. I got to sleep in a bit, even though Henry came in to blow his nose in my face and Clara came in to jump over me and shout "I a frog!!" When I made my way to the kitchen I was greeted with gifts and french toast. Pete even offered to go to Starbucks for me, but I'm still on hiatus until next weekend. Okay...so I've broken it a couple times for special occasions, but for the most part I have done very very well.
After breakfast and cards and gifts (the kids chose some very sweet earrings for me and Pete gave me a lovely silver and turquoise bracelet) there were baths to be had. If I had taken a photo of Henry in the bath tonight you would have seen bruises all up and down his legs from the bike riding. I guess he's getting a little old for me to be taking bathtub pictures.
We stopped by Deerfield so Pete could wish his own mother a happy day. The kids gave her a card with a special Grandma sticker. I wonder if she really did wear it all day...?
After naps we went for an early dinner at Bennihana. I had wanted to go to Ron of Japan with the kids, but they aren't open on Sundays. Also, I don't think they have these cool hat menus.
This is not a very pretty picture of me, but it gives me good memories of that Mai Tai. Good thing I had two so each kid could have a cherry. Clara also enjoyed playing with the chopsticks.
It's been true spring around here with unpredictable weather. Thursday morning we were all set to spend the morning at the library, out of the rain. We had to drive the long way around because the road was flooded from the creek under the train tracks. When we got to the library it was suspiciously dark and the lot was empty. They were having some flooding problems and had closed for the day. So we ran to the grocery and then back home for craft day instead. This scenario was the precursor to the 2-year-old-with-glitter incident that happened later that day. And again the next morning.
The last two pictures are from today. I decided last night that I would try a new trick to keep the kids quiet so Pete and I could sleep in a little bit. I told them that after they were asleep I'd find a toy they hadn't played with for a long time and I'd put it in the middle of their room so when they awoke they could play with it. They seemed excited. I pulled together a couple of dinosaur things and a couple pages of dino stickers. When I got out of bed a little after 8 (miraculous!) they looked like this:
And here are Clara, Anna and Henry spying on a mama robin who likes to nest right outside the bathroom window. It makes for lovely easy viewing for us! We also have a chickadee family nesting in a little birdhouse on the garden bench. The mama sits on the telephone wire and scolds me the whole time I'm trying to do any planting.

No comments: