Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!

With my dad in mind yesterday we took a trip to Wagner's Farm, where they were doing an annual 'dairy breakfast'. We were interested to find that the dairy breakfast did not feature cheese, milk or even cream for the coffee. I guess it was a dairy breakfast because it was a dairy farm? While sitting under the big tents, waiting for our breakfast, Henry and I watched these guys play some tunes for the gardeners.
After our pancakes and eggs (and an intimate encounter with a cicada-in which it landed right on my mouth) Henry and I took a tractor/hay rack ride. I was ashamed to have to admit that I couldn't identify the oats when the guy held them up (though I didn't guess it was wheat- like one lady did). He ended our tour with asking us if any of us had at least seen a pig before...he was worried about us city slickers.
Then we hustled off to the dairy barn where they were doing a little milking. In this photo Henry is saying "No thank you!" to a suggestion that he may want to try milking.
Dad should be proud though, I got milk on my first pull, and straight into the bucket too! The guy said "Alright! It's in your blood!" I said "Actually, it is!"
Here's the gracious cow that let us all take a tug. Her name is Rita and she's a couple years old. A classy bovine indeed.
Henry did take a pet of a calf we wandered upon later. And he didn't mind this horse too much, perhaps because her name was Betsy. Her larger partner was named Doc.
Later on Pete got to have his father's day gift early. He also had to assemble it, but it was no tools required. In this picture you can see that there was still some adjusting to do.
He got it sorted out later on. I hope he'll be taking more advantage of it later today, as he's already put in a lot of hard work in the yard.
Happy father's day everyone! XOXO.

5 comments:

W.F. Decker said...

What a great adventure. Wish I could have been there to see Henry's reactions. Maybe I could have gotten him to help me milk a cow (or maybe not). Glad to know that Betsy has pull.

amber c. said...

sweet hammock! happy dad's day, peter!

Carrie and Rob said...

Pete - I blew it for your present. I was supposed to make you a bola wrap game but I just don't have a ton of free time these days... I promise I will make you one as soon as I get the chance. I want to see Henry chuck a bola! Happy Father's Day.

Anonymous said...

no worries. Henry would probably go after Franklin with a bola anyway. Besides, if you don't have a ton of free time now, what kind of time will you have when the baby arrives?

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Really cute post! (& funny, but I wrapped up the finishing touches on the book I was working on at about the same minute that you'd've been posting that. & it's a book about... COWS! Yessir, it's true!)