Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What we're growing, What we're eating...

My zinnias have started to bloom. They came in a boxed seed mix from Paul's, so I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Somehow, after I don't know how many years, my African violet decided to bloom.
This is the tiny harvest of peas that I collected a week or two ago. Tasty!
And some carrots. These are actually just from thinning...that's why they're so beensy. We did eat a few though. I read somewhere that as soon as a vegetable is recognizable, it's edible.
Some tiny bits of broccoli that Mom encouraged me to clip so that the rest could flower out. We haven't eaten it yet.
Last night's dinner (sorry for the sideways picture). We had Portuguese white bean soup and Greek diced vegetable salad- both from my new Moosewood cookbook. I honestly don't know how I've grown to be 32 years old without ever having owned a Moosewood cookbook. The results? Yummy! Pete even ate the salad two nights in a row (surprise-we might be finishing it off tonight!) and took some soup for lunch.
Requisite Henry photo. He wanted to show you what he was eating too. He ate the soup with us last night, of course, but this morning his second breakfast (the one he eats with Mom) was tortilla with cheese and scrambled eggs. He turned them into a sandwich. We also had some cantaloupe. You can see the residual juice here....
A just-in-case message to Samantha, Sarah and others who may be checking..... If you haven't heard from Rob and Carrie for a bit it's because they're at the hospital! Checked in last night! No news to report yet, and I'll save that for them anyway....but just thought I'd share the excitement!

2 comments:

amber c. said...

lovely bounty!

sarah90046 said...

thanks for thinking of us faraway friends, Betsy! i knew there was a reason i was up at dawn PST. i just got "baby on way" text from someone?? :) :) :) :) :)