Monday, October 29, 2007

Candy Corn Cookies

(I'm writing this Sunday night, but letting it post Monday noon- so adjust your reading accordingly)

I found this idea in some home and garden magazine that I was perusing at the library one day, while Henry played train.
I used refrigerator dough, because sometimes it's okay to cut corners....
But I turned it orange with a hideous amount of food coloring. Also added a little extra flour to offset the coloring, and almond flavoring because that's the key to good sugar cookies...even 'fake' ones. Yes....it really is that orange.
I couldn't find a candy corn shaped cookie cutter, except in a giant box of assorted Halloween cookie cutters. I already have all the basic Halloween shapes, so I wasn't going to buy the box- no matter how cheap it was. I cut these by hand, and kind of like their charming misshapeness. Also, don't they look like Doritos? Or giant Cheezits?
Here's the pumpkin guy I made for Henry with the leftovers.
Here are the final results. Tops dipped in white chocolate, bottoms in semi-sweet. Pretty cute, I think! I'll send them off to various places tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'll package them though. I've finally used up the purple Saran Wrap I've had for years.
In the meantime I have a little container of melted chocolate re-hardening in the fridge, which might make its way onto caramel apples or bananas or some other such thing for dessert tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm impressed Betsy (just call me Martha) Decker! Those cookies are very clever.

W.F. Decker said...

Me thinks there is one photograph missing, that being of the final results.

Betsy said...

Look again. It maybe just didn't load for you.

Anonymous said...

love the idea!