Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Watch? Warning?

I can never remember which one is a watch and which is a warning, but we had the bad one tonight. In the 6 years that we've lived in Northbrook I've never heard the actual tornado sirens go off until tonight. The kids had been in bed, but could tell that Pete and I were agitated, so they weren't sleeping yet. I let them come sit on the couch, then started to throw pillows into the hallway, thinking I'd close all the bedroom doors and we'd be away from the windows, but when the sirens actually went off I grabbed the kids and told Pete we were going to the neighbor's. He tried to say we weren't going out in that weather, but I think I was already out the door. He grabbed Franklin and we ran across the street. Our friends Oscar and Kelley had their 2 kids in their sub-level semi-basement laundry room, as well as Kelley's sister and two friends. I called Helena who said the kids were asleep, so Pete and Oscar went to help her get them over to the basement too. We ended up with 8 adults, 7 children and Franklin in the room. We also had at least 4 iphones and one ipad.
 Anyway- long story short- we were all fine. There appear to be some trees down in the area. Emily and Alex were supposed to be flying back to Utah, but I guess no planes are leaving tonight, so Tom will probably be going to get them pretty soon. It obviously wasn't as severe as other storms around the country recently, but with all of those on the mind I wasn't willing to mess with being tentative or feeling embarrassed.

And now both kids are sleeping in our bed.

1 comment:

joyceetta said...

Hey....you did the right thing. Always follow your instincts! Glad it didn't turn in to anything worse and that you are all okay.