Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A break...





...to blog a little bit about gardening. After Henry took a nearly 3 (THREE!) hour nap this morning, we decided to skip the grocery and spend some time in the yard this afternoon. I spent most of the time pulling up the mint that has overtaken my flower bed. I've been mostly letting things go, just to see what will come up....but the mint was out of control. Here are some shots of it all over the place...creeping up the side of the house....and a look at how that root just runs underground and sends shoots up every few inches. The good news is that it's easy to pull up. And you can't get frustrated because it just keeps sending it's mellow mint aroma up at you and you have no choice but to chill out. Sadly, for the mint, I didn't chill out so much that I stopped weeding. Here's a pile of the stuff that I pulled up. I'm not sure this photo does it justice...it was really a lot of mint.





These other pictures are just of my yard and patio....my happy place. There's the pretty little purple flowers that have popped up out of some creeping ground cover. You can see our pretty new patio cushions, and if you come visit you can sit on them! And there's the little corner of petunias and herbs. Some of those herbs are from Ellen's wedding. They were her table centerpieces.


Finally....the little gardener. He was trying to help with the watering cans. He continues to love all things involving water.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to come sit on those chairs, smell the mint and hug that little guy!

Carrie and Rob said...

i think if we had weedy mint, i would have a mojito every night to help take care of it. really, mojitos (and the high price of fresh herbs at the grocery store) are the only practical reason i included mint in my container plantings this year.
i'm glad you're having such a great time in the yard!

-c

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - I'm down with mojitos. Good call Carrie!