Thursday, May 04, 2006

Gardening...

While Mom was here it was a little too rainy to get any yard work done. By Tuesday afternoon the weather was nice again, so I was able to get some things in the ground. Mom brought me a tomato plant, which I'm protecting from the bunnies with a broken terra cotta pot which we apparently bought with the house. Here's a picture of Franklin sneaking off through his little secret escape path through the neighbor's yard. I spent most of my 'gardening' time actually chasing Franklin back into our yard. We really need to get some chicken wire up. This is a little marigold I planted right outside the back porch, in the hopes that the bunnies would leave it alone. So far it seems to be doing okay. I can't say as much for the Dutchman's Breeches and Violet that Mom also brought. I put them back by the lilac bush. The lilac is really my biggest concern. It's a tall, old plant and is doing fine, but I'd really like some of the little shoots that are coming up to thrive. I'm not sure why they haven't up to this point, but I suspect the bunnies (Darn those bunnies!!!) have something to do with it. I've chosen a couple of the stronger looking sprouts to protect in various ways and am hoping that they get strong enough to live through the winter. Gardening success stories....Pete's grass is coming up! So are my little sprouts from the 'fragrant flowers' seed mix I planted. Henry helps with those when he sprays them with the spray bottle. Here is one of the little Nemesia plants Mom bought for me. This one is called Peach. The other four I planted up Bartelby's side of the yard are Blue Bird, Banana, Safari Pink and Raspberry. They're adorable, like little mini snap-dragons. And the names make me want a daquiri.

3 comments:

amber c. said...

I want to plant some spearmint or somesuch. Jeff's mom did so once and it overtook her garden. So I plan to plant it into a pot similar to your terra cotta contraption!

Anonymous said...

Amber...I believe it will spread via the roots, so the terra cotta thingy won't be of help(unless you are planting it in the pot, and not in the ground...to be surrounded by a bottomless pot). You just have to be vigorous about pulling out any plants/pieces straying from the desired space.

Carrie and Rob said...

my dutchman's breeches is also looking kinda sad since replanting, but a project green lady said that they're pretty much done for the year anyway, so let's hope that they'll take root and hold on till next spring. she also told me that all the foliage will die back, so make sure to mark it.

-c