Saturday, September 09, 2006

Lincoln Park Zoo














I think I might still smell like the monkey house. We were at the zoo all day. We started out in the lion house where we got to hear the big papa lion roar. Henry was a little unsure about that. He clung to me a little tighter. Just further enforcing my belief that the child has excellent natural instincts. This picture, with the painted background, makes the lion look fake, but he was quite real. Shortly after this he rolled around on his back like a little kitten. From the lion house we moved on to the ape house. Henry spent some time communing with a little baby gorilla.















After a bit we came to the John Deere farm in the zoo. We saw the cows, but were too early for milking time. The little piglets were only 2 weeks old, and very hungry. I believe Henry was reminded of the pig toy that used to belong to his Auntie Liz, which he now gets to play with and Grandma and Bampa's house. He really liked the big tractor, and did not want to climb back down when it was time to give someone else a turn. He was a good sport about it, though.

























We watched the seals and sea lions swimming by. When they would swim past (upside-down) Henry would say, and sign, "more"!







The rhino was a very big hit. I don't think I've ever seen a rhino so active at a zoo. He was wandering all over the place. I really wanted to see him go in the mud, but he didn't allow me that small pleasure.















Bears and giraffes were last on our tour. The bears were very swimmy in their habitats. Pete took this great, up-close shot of the polar bear and I caught the Andean bear climbing out of his pool. The giraffes were just sort of wandering back and forth looking lovely.
























While I made a quick stop in the gift store Henry and Grammie took a ride on the endangered animals carousel. I ran back just in time to hop on for their second turn around. Henry kept switching animals. He didn't really like the ones that went up and down.
I had to drive on the way home, as everyone else was just too pooped. Henry crashed with his new soft rhino toy. He's still sleeping now. He may be out for the whole night.
Love the zoo!!!

3 comments:

amber c. said...

love that farm animals are at the zoo. where else can a city boy with roots from the ultimate agrarian state see cows and piggies! :)

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Yay for zoos!

Henry is far too cute for words, Missuz. Scrolling down and watching his attitudes & facial expressions change is fast becoming one of my official passtimes.

p.s. Our boys aren't much into up-&-down animals, either. In fact, as we spin around carousels, I never see any child under about 6 who thinks they're much fun!

Anonymous said...

I can't post on anyone's blog anymore because it won't let me log in with our old info.

-r