Monday, February 19, 2007

Big Train!

We took a whirlwind weekend trip to Minneapolis this weekend. It was sort of a surprise Valentine's trip for Pete. He knew we were doing something, but didn't know what. Maybe it's a little weird that his present was to visit my brother, but I think we all had a great time. Really, it was all about Henry, who loves the trains.
Here he is in the Glenview station. We had a bit of waiting to do. The train originated in Chicago, so we didn't think we needed to check the departure time. Turns out there was some sort of ice issue, so it was almost two hours delayed. Henry didn't seem to mind the wait. Henry was very excited to be on the train. He couldn't decide if he wanted to sit next to me, or Papa or by himself. He requested that no photos be taken. Around 6 or 7 he conked out for the rest of the trip. He mostly slept across our laps.
I'll spare you the saga of arriving to Mpls/St.Paul late and Will's car breaking down and being the last people left in the station as they tried to close up at 1AM. Friday involved car fixing, errand running, napping, reading and eating yummy chicken and chocolate cake. I have no photos of Friday.
Here are Pete and Will on Saturday morning, brewing beer. They have some sort of Hawkeye basketball bet, involving beer, which Pete seems to be winning. Hopefully the beer is good, because he was supposed to get a case of "good beer" if he won. Instead he had to help brew his own. I thought it made the house smell a bit like a rabbit cage. Lucy was trying very hard to be involved.
While they finished up the beer and watched the Hawks lose again, Sandy and I went to the Knitting Cafe. She had taken Carrie and various other crafters there and I really wanted to experience it as well. The place was fabulous. See all the yarn! We browsed, ate lunch, chatted, ate some chocolate and knitted.
That night we all pitched in a bit on dinner. Will made shrimp scampi. I made the noodles (I think Will is forcing me to learn, since I have only used my own noodle maker once), Sandy did the salad, Pete set the table...I think. I know he chose the wine that night, which turned out to be a little fizzy, but that wasn't his fault.
Here is some dinner-time train playing. Sunday morning we were up early to catch our 7:50 train home. Will dropped us off and took some photos (check his blog...he said he'd post some) . We headed straight for the dining car where we enjoyed some weakish coffee and decent eggs and grits. Henry stayed awake for most of the trip back, which was much more exciting than the trip up, mostly because it was daylight. We split our time between dining car, lounge car and our seats. I must say, I highly recommend train travel for those with kids!
Henry especially enjoyed watching other trains pass. Again, he was requesting no photos and would not give me a smile.

Home again, home again, jiggity jig. As soon as we stepped off the train Henry said "more train!" We were greeted by our friendly chauffeur and dog-watchers Grandma and Bampa. I think our next trip should involve a sleeper car out to Seattle or Portland!

Oh...one more note. I finished Pete's scarf while on the trip. Here's the tired guy showing it off:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very fun trip. I'm envious of the yarn/knitting place. However, my yarn stash continues to grow....so guess I should use some of it before heading to a place like that. Too bad you had to leave so early Sunday morning! I have mostly always enjoyed the train travel I have done. LA-Burlington, Santa Fe-Burlington, Salt Lake-Burlington, New York-Burlington, Chicago-Seattle-LA-Burlington. That last was in a sleeper...definitely the way to go but it's not cheap. Meals, however, are included which helps a bit on those trips of several days. Glad you arrived home safe and sound. Next time you come to Burlington, come on the train!

amber c. said...

lovely scarf!

Carrie and Rob said...

Pete has a goatee!? Stop trying to imitate me Pete! Also, Sandy's hair looks shorter... crazy. I cut my goatee off 2 weeks ago (for one week) and not one person noticed or said anything, including many family members.