Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Greens

We've let quite a few of our weeds go this year. This one turned out to be a happy weed! We suspect the seed came over from the bird feeder, perhaps in the mouth of a hurried chipmunk. Tomatoes on the left, broccoli on the right. Doing okay, but not producing much.
One little tomato trying to make his way...
We've had a bit of heavy rain the last few days. Needed the moisture, but the force with which it came down was substantial. You can see that the phlox took it hard. I think they'll be fine, though. Also in this photo you can start to see a little of the cicada damage that my redbud sustained. I'm not sure how well it will recover. I had it protected, but those guys got in anyway. Most of the branches have slits carved into them where the cicadas deposited their eggs. In young trees like this it really weakens the thin branches. At least one branch has already broken off entirely, several others look ready to go and the leaves are turning yellow and brown. Sad.
Here's a little bit of happy though, pretty little Zinnias on my table. They remind me of my wedding.

No comments: