Thursday, July 19, 2007

Please.....don't.

I have my mom to thank for introducing my to Harry Potter. Thanks Mom! It must have been in '98 or '99 because I was working at the Barnes & Noble in Iowa City. She had heard about this book on NPR, something about a young wizard...it was really popular in Britain. It was really a kids' book, but seemed like something Rob would like and would I pick it up for him for Christmas? His birthday? I don't remember that, but I do remember exactly where the book was in the store. I think there was only one on the shelf. I bought it, Mom gave it to Rob. After he read it I borrowed it and then bought myself The Chamber of Secrets. It's my oldest book, and if you look closely you can see that it doesn't have the number at the top like the other 5 do. Anyway, I was hooked. I remember when Order of the Phoenix came out, Pete and I were at a wedding in a tiny town in Colorado. We had to search the town for a store that was open, not to mention one that would have the book. We finally found it and I was one of at least 5 people on the plane home that was reading the book. A woman I didn't know at the airport took a picture of several of us holding our books. When The Half-Blood Prince came out I finally had Sharon to share my love of the books with. She's light-years ahead of me in knowing the minutiae of the stories, but we both a delighted to have another adult to discuss the stories with. Granted, my brothers love the books too, but they're not into talking....you know....boys. So this year, in anticipation of the final book (The Deathly Hallows) coming out, I've been re-reading and listening to the audio books and re-reading again. I've had the countdown widget on my computer for months. I've become a fan of The Leaky Cauldron and check it frequently for news and interesting ideas. In this photo you can see the spot on my bookshelf that has been saved for The Deathly Hallows. If you look closely you can also see some 'Snape- Friend or Foe?' bookmarks (I'm still torn!), my Quidditch-themed bookplates and my copies of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages. Pete has frequently been heard to say that I'm "geeking out". Last night Sharon and I went to see the fifth movie- The Order of the Phoenix. It was great. I liked it a lot. I'm a big fan of the movies, but nothing is quite like the books. And now we come to the last few days (my widget says 1 day, 15 hours, 52 min, 7 seconds) before the midnight release. I'll be picking mine up at a B. Dalton's in Burlington. Joyce has already reserved it for me, and Pete has agreed to attend the midnight release. Sharon will be taking her girls to Naperville on Friday, where they turn the whole town into a Hogsmeade village- every store changing it's name (the LaSalle bank will become Gringott's) participating with a craft, activity or special treat. Then they'll come back to Northbrook for an outdoor showing of the first movie and a walking parade over to The Book Bin (our local independent) to pick up the books at midnight.
This really is an exciting time for me. I know it is the epitome of dorkiness to most...but I'm really looking forward to this book. This is really a once in a lifetime thing. So now I have to send out my plea.... Please! Don't be a spoiler! I know you won't, because you're good people. I just need to send that general thought out to the world at large. I'll be avoiding the news and probably the internet as well, because there's no getting this experience back. You can only read the story for the first time once. As of now I don't want any more suppositions or rumors I just want to get my book and hunker down for a bit. And if you're still reading it when I'm finished (my brothers) I promise not to spoil it for you either.
I'm sure I will not be blogging again until I'm finished reading. See you then! And again, thanks Mom!!

8 comments:

amber c. said...

I love ya, but you might be "geeking out" a little. I know you're not the only one out there, tho... and, I'm glad you have Sharon to geek with.

amber c. said...

I do love how pretty the books look on your bookshelf, tho!

Scotta Allen said...

I've never seen anyone quite so passionate about anything! I hope no one ruins it for you.

W.F. Decker said...

Hey Betsy--sorry to spoil it for you, but the butler did it.

Dad

sarah90046 said...

I am right there with you, Betsy. My book will be waiting in LA...if the neighbors haven't "borrowed" it to read before I return. We'll talk after....

Anonymous said...

Some how Will has dibs on our copy (why isn't it here yet?) so I have to make the long wait while he reads it. I bet I will get at least 2 more non-Harry Potter books read before he is done, so I have to avoid hearing anything until several weeks from now. Yikes, I might have to be incommunicado for a while.

Sandy

Carrie and Rob said...

I'm 1/2 way through book 6 at the moment so I won't be spoiling book 7 for anyone. Mine should arrive from Amazon tomorrow.

amber c. said...

aren't you done with that tome yet? i'm needing some updates!