Friday, August 24, 2007

Stuff

I think I've mentioned that we've had a lot going on these last few days. I feel like I'm almost constantly on my feet. It's been good that we've cancelled cable, because if we still had it I'd be vegging out at night, way past my bedtime, just because I'm too tired to get up off the couch. Instead I've been reading Bel Canto.
Last night we had crazy crazy weather. It started around 3:30 when Henry and I got back from school. It was dark and torrential rains and crazy wind and all of that. Pete tried to be careful about when he left work, but the sirens were going off here when he pulled around the corner. I kept starting dinner and then stopping again- turning off the burners and going to check on Henry who was having a late nap. There's not much of a place to hide in this house, but I was considering closing ourselves in to the hallway with Henry's mattress. Then Pete got home and the sirens ended and things seemed a little more mellow for a bit. Franklin was very very whiny about it all, and may or may not have peed on the bathmat.
In the middle of it all, Pete's dad showed up (invited) for dinner. He's been a bachelor for the last few days. We were supposed to go see bike races last night, but that didn't happen. I found myself quite humored by the table setting:
If you look carefully you will see a Mexican-themed tablecloth, a snowman trivet, flowery plates, a US map placemat and a Nemo plate. I couldn't find Henry's Lightning McQueen fork, or that would have been on the table as well. The meal was sort of Italian....just to throw another element in there. If I had zoomed out you could have seen the table flanked quite nicely by our sparkly red chairs, but I guess you've already seen those. Anyway, it was nice to have company in the midst of the storm. And when it let up a little I was allowed to drive my father-in-law's Saab to pick up some ice cream. It was a nice ride!

Here's a photo of some of the work our handyman got done yesterday. This is our new bathroom vanity. The mirror is up too, but I wanted to point out the tile with these pictures. You can see here that this vanity is a bit smaller than what was there before. That was sort of an accident, but it makes the bathroom feel a little bigger, which is nice.
Here's the tile that was probably original in the bathroom. I quite like it, actually. The handyman should be showing up again any time this morning....I hope. He'll be patching in some tile and hopefully cleaning all the old tile up to make it look shiny and new again. He'll also put in the new faucet. Then we've got a new towel bar and paint and whatnot to take care of.
Other home improvement projects on the horizon: installing new outside lights, mailbox and numbers, new entryway light, painting the bedroom (sounds like Dad may be here to help- hooray!) new knobs for the bedroom cabinets. And down the road: surface improvements to the other bathroom and possible closet knocking-out and baby-making-room in Henry's room. Of course, the third bedroom is still Prince Kyle's room....so we really have to get on painting that soon too!! Something about Fall puts me in the mood for home improvements!

3 comments:

amber c. said...

nice vanity! what color will the bathroom be? can't wait to see the finished product.

Anonymous said...

so does this mean that the old wicker lighting fixtures have gone by the wayside? i'll miss the 'golden girls' feeling they lent to the bathroom...

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

We were wondering how that storm went over (Barb & Larry had seen it on TV in their hotel room, and so we searched all over the internet, but found next to nuthin)...!
And Betsy... another declaration of LOVE, this time for your table setting. That is a work of contemporary art, there. No joke.