Wednesday, March 12, 2008

No Pho (rhymes with No Duh)

So, occasionally, Pete and some of his co-workers will have a Pho-riday, where they go out for a Vietnamese lunch. Today Clara was going to have her first visit to Shure to see Daddy's office and meet the gang and then we were going to have a Pho-wednesday. Clara got all dressed up, but the day didn't turn out as planned.
First, Clara and I went through the drive-through at Starbucks. (It was a little too early to get down to Niles, and I hadn't had any breakfast.) I turned off the car and we sat in the parking lot while I called Mom to wish her a happy birthday. She's enjoying the sun and the Dodgers at Spring Training in Florida with a couple of her brothers, but that's a different story.
At the end of a nice chat, I tried to start the car back up to go meet Pete. You probably caught the key word there- tried. The battery was dead. Fortunately it is a warmish day and Clara had her patient pants on. After determining that we would have to postpone Pho-wednesday, and after much disappointed grumping by me, this happened:
I guess you can't see the jumper cables, but eventually it worked.
Then we drove the car here:
But guess what. Well, I'll just let you figure it out.
So we went across the street: And they said they could fix it within an hour.
There was a Panera right next door, but my tastebuds were all set for Asian food, and I don't know how well you know me, but sometimes I'm a little stubborn.
So we went here: And had to wait a little bit.
Pete did some more schedule-shuffling on his Blackberry. And Clara expressed her displeasure with spit bubbles.
But we did get to eat lunch together.
And Pete, whilst making fun of me for documenting everything, took unprepared pictures of me.
We didn't have any of the $2 mini-desserts. Honestly, what's the point of a mini-dessert? But we did get fortune cookies:
Here's mine: I don't know...all in all, it wasn't a bad day.
Here's Clara at the end of it all- showing off the cute outfit she didn't get to show anywhere else:
How about a close-up?
No?
Oh....that's better...

5 comments:

amber c. said...

this is quite possibly my favorite blog post by you ever. and i love the photo of pete's fortune. that's classic stuff. i, too, get set on a type of food once i've got a hankering and there's no talking me out of it.

Anonymous said...

So, what DO they sell at Just Tires?

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Well... I don't know if it's the effects of good hindsight or pictures or what, but this looks like a pretty durn funny-good day, all in all. And stubborn can be good. And fortune cookies rock this spinning world. Seriously.

flyingwaffle said...

Clara is too cute! And she seems to be so good at going with the flow. I'm glad everything worked out in your day of unexpected adventures.

flyingwaffle said...

Oh, and now I want Chinese food. If only there was decent Chinese food around. Hmmm...