Thursday, February 09, 2006

Be Kind.

Here is a definition of not fun: swimsuit shopping in pasty-white February with unshaved legs, extra weight and navy socks. The last two swimsuits I had were a maternity two-piece and a honeymoon two-piece. I am in neither maternity nor honeymoon figure right now. But we really want to take Henry swimming. And I really didn't want to have to stand at the edge of the pool while Pete had all the fun. So I went to TJ Maxx (scary!!) and tried on the only 2 suits they had that didn't make me shake my head in wonder. The first was a very cute red, but apparantly made for a torso about 4 inches shorter than mine. The second was a little bit of a granny suit with sort of a heavy-girl pattern. I did not feel attractive in either. I stood for a while, looking in the mirror, criticizing myself in my head. Then I caught a glimpse of the pin stuck to my mini-diaper-bag-purse. Be Kind it says. I bought it in the fall from a little boy raising money for hurricaine victims. I like it. I mostly like it as a reminder to all of the jerks in the world, a reminder that all you have to do is be a little kind, it's not so hard. Today it seemed more like a reminder to me. Be Kind to yourself. It's okay to be a little pudgy. It's okay that you skipped the last few days of going to the Y....just go today and don't get a cookie on the way home. Everything will be okay. Oh my gosh...and then, if you go to the Y, there is this cuteness to come home to:














I went for the granny suit. Stay tuned for a post-swimming entry some time this weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Be Kind" is very good advice...especially when given to oneself. And...the cuteness is VERY cute...worth a "granny suit"

amber c. said...

i concur with joyce!

Carrie and Rob said...

this summer i bought a "serious"--for swimming, not sunning--suit (as mentioned in a "howdy doo" post earlier this week :)) from dick's sporting goods. they had a big sale rack with "serious" TYR and speedo models. i can personally relate to the consternation that swimsuit shopping at t.j. maxx can inspire. who buys half of what they're trying to pass off as swimwear, even at those prices? i won't even get into the cattle-pens with fluorescent lighting that they like to call dressing rooms. not that you have any desire to go through the whole shebang all over again anytime soon, but it's a thought for the next quest for a practical and moderately flattering one-piece.

c