Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Ten Years Ago Challenge

Amber issued a challenge to figure out what was happening in my life ten years ago. She had a very cute blog entry about meeting her husband at Mizzou in February of 1996. I have been struggling to figure out what I was doing. So I thought back to 12 years ago...that's when Pete and I had our first date. Which means that 11 years ago we were celebrating our first dating anniversary. We had spaghetti on the floor of his room in the apartment he shared with Marty and Craig. Then, somehow, I have no idea what happened 10 years ago. I know Pete and I were together for Valentine's day.....I can establish a few details around the month, but not really anything specific from February itself. Fall of 1995 was when I was starting my first teaching practicums, October of 1995 was when both of my grandpa's were sick, and Grandpa Bob died. That was also when I Pete took me to my first Phish concert. December of 1995 was when Linus came into my life...much to Ellen's chagrin. Then my memories (and journals) sort of fast forward to March, when Pete and I took a spring break trip in his silver Buick LeSabre. We tried to go camping in the Carolinas, but were met with some serious snow storms instead. I just realized we have no photos from that trip, which is really weird. So, I guess that's it for me 10 years ago. 9 years ago was the bad Valentine's day when I had a date that was distinctly NOT Pete. He did send me a nice package though, even though we still lived in the same town. We hadn't been seeing each other and he sent me a comp. tape that made me cry. I think we pretty much spent the rest of our Valentine's days together.....2002 we got engaged, 2003 Pete's parents had a big engagement party for us, 2004 was our first married Valentine's day. We spent it in San Antonio. Then Henry came along the next November (I"ll let you work out the math...) and last year Joyce was here to sit with him while we went out for one of our first real dates since Henry was born. She said we had to talk about things other than Henry, and she chastised us for coming home so early. This year we plan to spend the evening of Valentine's day at Dave's Italian Kitchen with a couple other friends-with-babies. Should be nice and low-key. Then we'll come home and watch Gilmore Girls. And now I pass the 10-Years-Ago Challenge on....who will bite?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...a very nice history indeed...some would say a more truthful memoir than Mr. Frey's. But I digress. What I really want to know is why Pete couldn't afford plates and you had to "eat spaghetti on the floor"?

Anonymous said...

Aw come now, there were plates! I'm not that cheap.

Betsy said...

The plates may or may not have been paper....

amber c. said...

ah! a journal! what a good idea for capturing memories as they slip from our aging minds! i have the best of intentions!! well done. i won't be making up a story for you.

Carrie and Rob said...

Pete was a dork then, and he still is now. It's nice to have consistency...

(Rob)