Thursday, December 06, 2007

Jolly Old St. Nick

We didn't really celebrate St. Nick's Day as kids, but Ellen's family did and I always thought it was cool. I even had one or two St. Nick's Day gifts show up on my door when we lived together. Being that Pete and I each have a healthy amount of German blood in our veins, it seems an appropriate tradition to start in our family. So last night Henry set his slippers outside his bedroom door. This morning, when he awoke at 5:33, he immediately wanted to check to see if St. Nick had left him a treat. I convinced him to stay in his bed until 6:00 (he now has a digital clock in his room) and then he bounded out to find a little chocolate santa and a penguin toy. Being the awful mother that I am, I made him wait until after his nap to have his 'Nick treat". Being the wonderful son that he is, he let me nibble on Santa's boot. We had planned to also use this day to make pfefferneuse, but that plan was derailed by the late arrival of the Sears guy coming to do a free oven check-up. I guess peppernuts can wait until the weekend (as we have other big plans for tomorrow). Now Henry wants to know if he can have another "Nick Day". I'm not quite sure how to reconcile "one St. Nick's day a year" with Santa coming in a few weeks....if it's confusing to me, it's got to be confusing for him!

In other news, Henry also demonstrated a new "exercise" for me today. He said "Mom! Let's exercise!" I probably said something like "Okay, you go first". Anyway- here's what he showed me....and allowed me to get on video. The first time he did it I laughed out loud.

No comments: