Saturday, December 01, 2007

Images from Thanksgiving...

With my computer being out of commission, it's taken me a while to get back to blogging. I've finally put some pictures on my work computer and am ready to share.
We had an amazing Thanksgiving this year. Henry, of course, turned 3 the day before Thanksgiving. We took the train to Burlington that day, were picked up by Uncle Tom (who was in from Salt Lake City) and taken to Aunt Joyce's for some birthday mac and cheese and the traditional family angel food cake.
We did a little food prep. that night and got up and did a little more the next morning. Pete caught this lovely shot of me helping Mom make the spiced apples. Eventually we made our way over to the bed and breakfast which we rented out to fit the whole family.
Alexandra and Emily had helped Joyce set up and decorate the day before. We had a total of 7 tables, and a mix of china, silver and glassware. Here's the kitchen, early, before it got too busy. My cousin Russell and Uncles Tom and Bill were working on carving the 3 turkeys. Here we are after everyone sat down. Well, almost everyone...you can see Aunt Jan still taking pictures, and my mom making sure Henry was okay.
I had my food, though. Two plates full. Everyone helped with the food. Sandy and I did the green salad, Will made butter. There were two kinds of green beans, corn from Aunt Joan's dad's farm, the traditional homemade noodles from Aunt Jan. When I saw the layout of pies I wondered, momentarily, if I should try to have the baby so that I would have more room in my belly. Here is a sampling of some of the pies. My favorite was the walnut pie Wanda made. Uncle Jim said he thought she had won some sort of Pilsbury prize for it or something....
And finally, here's the whole crew. There were 43 of us total. My mom and all 7 of her siblings, my Great-Aunt Jean from California, most of my 16 or so cousins, and their families. You can see my big belly there in the middle with Aunt Jean, and Henry and Pete behind us. Mom, Sandy and Eleanor are at the very top of the steps.
Thanks to Aunt Joyce for getting us all together! It was exactly the way a holiday should be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful to see the photo of the family. I knew your aunts and uncles when there were 7 and then Jan arrived! Aunt Joyce has been my dear friend since we were in 6th grade...hummm, just a few years ago. Keep up this wonderful blog!
Rita (Placerville, CA)

Betsy said...

Thanks, Rita! I heard that a wonderful time was had at your establishment as well! I'd like to come visit some time!