Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snow Day

I had a snow day on Tuesday. The storm that coated Iowa in ice and knocked out power for my mom and several others was headed our way. It actually never turned into anything much more than some slushy rainy mess here. It was nice to have the day off, regardless. I kept Henry home with me and we made Christmas cookies all day long. It's hard for Henry to keep his hands out of his mouth while baking, so there was frequent hand washing to be done as well.
We made the sugar cookie dough in the morning, then moved on to thumbprint jam cookies (my first time making these, and I was quite pleased with the results....though the recipe made a tiny amount). These were perfect for Henry, as he got to do what he likes best- stick his fingers in the cookies. Then we made the little pretzel treats that he likes so much. These were a perfect kid "cookie" too. He placed the chocolate stars on the pretzels and then did the M&M placement after we melted the chocolate. He was a little slow with the M&Ms, so I had to help out there.
He had a snack of an apple later in the afternoon, but didn't want to show his face while he was doing something so healthy.
When Pete came home we recruited him to help decorate the sugar cookies. We stuck with stars, trees, snowmen and candy canes. I'm looking grim in this photo because I didn't realize Pete was actually taking a photo with me in it. You can also see my lovely pregnant chin.
Generally I don't stick raisins on my sugar cookies, but it was fun for Henry to add faces and buttons to the snowmen.
And finally, here's a video of Henry during the decorating process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After dinner Dad