Sunday, September 02, 2007

A Problem

Here's a mathematical problem that I need someone to solve. I've been trying to find a way to easily pair students in my class. We were just assigned a new student, which means we now have 21, which makes the problem much more of a challenge. What I want to be able to do is to say to the class "get with your A partner" and they all know who to pair up with. Obviously there will always be a threesome. I want each student to be paired once with each other student. So, what I envision is that each child has a list on their desk that lists A through T (or 1 through 20) with the name of their partner or partners. I do not want the same person to always be part of the threesome, either.
Can you do it? I'll bake and/or send cookies to the person who can figure it out first.
For the sake of confidentiality I will only list the first few letters of the students' names...

A
An
B
Br
D
Da
E
H
J
Ju
K
Ka
Kay
Ke
L
M
N
S
T
V
W

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only can't I do it....I can't even understand the question!!!!!!!!!

fredecker said...

Just call Dad.
Why do you need to preserve confidentiality?

Betsy said...

I did call Dad. Nobody answered.
I can't just list all my students' names on the internet....even if it's just their first names it seems weird.

Anonymous said...

Can you always have groups of three and rotate through the groups? That way you never have one person who always gets stuck in a threesome. It might make some of the projects more difficult. But it might be easier for you as you would have only 7 groups work with.

W.F. Decker said...

You could let Henry work on this for you. (Unless I beat him to the punch.)

sarah90046 said...

did you get this solved yet? do post the *answer* when you get one. it is fun to think about.

Anonymous said...

Easy. You create a table to post in the classroom and each cell on the table is movable. I envision something akin to a mix between a scrabble board and the periodic table of elements, but that may be just because of the way you listed the kids names. So, since you have 21 kids, that's 3 rows of 7. Each column (which would contain 3 kids) could be given a color of the rainbow, you could just say "get in your blue group", the kids look to the chart, see their name, see the blue color over their name, see their partners, and viola a group is born. And to mix things up, the cells (which are moveable, remember) could snake their way through the table, that way for each project the kids could be with someone new when you call "get in your orange/red/yellow group."

Anonymous said...

Who is this "anonymous" person and how did they get so smart?