Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Seriously?

Today I accompanied a friend on a shopping excursion. We were looking for a formal dress, and found many, many gaudy and strange frocks. We finally had a bit of luck in Bloomingdale's with a long, classic black dress with a small amount of sparkly-ness around the under-bust area. Anyway- at one point she needed to take an important call on her cell phone. Fortunately we were in the Nordstrom's shoe department at the time. I did find many shoes I would like to own, but resisted. And then I found some things that just made me stop, stare, and think to myself "seriously?!?!" So I took photos of them.

Exhibit A: I'm not sure I can describe the hideousness that is this pair of boots. Um....they started with some sort of harlot-y black lace and then dandied them up with little, absurdly placed, gold bows. Ew. They make me cringe. Ick! Ick! I can't look away!!
Exhibit B: A clear strap with a sequined ladybug and a shiny piece of foliage which looks like it's sprouting out from between your toes. Lovely.
Exhibit C: Okay, these I almost kind of get. I'm drawn to the pastel sequined fish.
Piece de resistance: The silver boot. Seriously? The more I look at them, the more I feel like I have to have them. I'm not sure, but they might be exhibiting some type of hypnotizing effect on me. They are clearly hideous. And yet, they sort of make me want to put on an Uhuru dress and stomp around on a starship.

Coffee cup update: Today was the first time I've drank from a paper cup since the beginning of August. I had a couple of slip-ups on our Minnesota vacation, when Pete went out for coffee and I asked him to grab one for me. After those two times I remembered to send my cup with him. Over a month paper-cup free. I think that's pretty good. And it hasn't been hard at all. Of course, now I have to start the count over again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yowie Kazowie! Them's some foot gear. Strangely enough I think I kind of like the silver boots. What's wrong with me?

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Oh my...
And yeah, I feel a similar pull towards those silver boots. Then again, I almost bought a pair of entirely-silver Converse low tops on sale the other day, so...

Anonymous said...

I could see the silver being pulled off with an all black outfit, I guess. Maybe they are hypnotyzing! Regardless, you found some dandies! And, helped with my first-thing laugh this a.m.! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Personally I like the ladybug slippers! I would wear those....somewhere...not sure where.

fredecker said...

OK, so it's Uhura. Offocially they wore black boots with zippers up the side. They were a lot like those things grandpa Decker used to wear. I always thought he was pretty with it when I saw those.
I think all of you who like the silver boots should think carefully about what you wear with reflective footwear. Avoid skirts.
OK, so with the disposable cup thing, is there a solution for orange juice bottles? Recycling is the best I can come up with.

Anonymous said...

Those fish shoes were kind of fun. I'm not sure my Teva tan would look so great in them though. Good point that Will has about wearing those silver boots with skirts. Yikes. Did you hear on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me about a month back how they have to do something about the glass escalators?

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant to say that the escalators are in a building in Chicago I think. Or where-ever Charlie Pierce works. Maybe D.C? I don't know. Ok, now I'm rambling. I wish I could blame the drugs, but no...