Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cousins

We had a chance to go up north and visit my nephew Anders this weekend. Here's the little dude in his turtle pajamas. Look how cute he is. I'm quite fond of the little fellow. I kept noticing how much he and Eleanor look alike. Then I would think to myself 'but my kids don't really look much like them' (though I do sometimes see similarities). But, as Will pointed out, Anders and Eleanor share dads with very similar genetic makeup...which is probably a closer match than the genetic makeup I share with their dads.
On Friday we had some beautiful weather. We took it easy in Anders' back yard. Clara really enjoyed his swing. I'm not sure if I've written about this before, but Henry has never enjoyed swinging- from the time he was a baby. Even now he'll only swing a little bit before he shouts "stop!" I can't quite figure out how any child of mine can't enjoy swinging.
Will has been working on this crazy old bike....what the hell's it called Will? And he hooked it up to the Burly and took Henry and Anders for several trips up and down the alley.
They are pals.
Will also got out his steam engines to show Henry. I got the feeling he's been itching to do this. I'm sure he can't wait for Anders to be old enough to play with his toys with him.
Clara and Anders spent quite a bit of time poking at each other. Clara seems to have learned some bad affection habits from her friend Sebastien. She likes to grab on tight to people, babies, animals...and pull them in and bury her face in them....often with her mouth wide open. It's especially bad when she tries it on the hind end of the cat. She is also very into pointing out eyes, ears, nose, mouth....but she sometimes misses and gets her finger IN your eye (or ear or nose or mouth). This is not such a big deal with us, but it's not so pleasant for little babies.
Dad was driving up to his place in Wisconsin and came over for a night so we could spend some time with him. Here's Clara brushing her hair for the wedding (oh yeah- we were in MN to attend the wedding of Pete's cousin. Thus "Cousins"). Please note the adorable green dress with the eyelet lace.
And here she is brushing Grandpa's hair. Dad thought Clara was a little unsure of her Grandpa, but I could tell she was actually quite fond of him.
Finally, here's a family picture from Mary's camera. This is all of us at the wedding.
I'll try to post some more from that event tomorrow. I'll just add blogging to my list of things to do on my "day off" (laundry, planting, grading, bathroom cleaning, meeting at school, etc.)

2 comments:

W.F. Decker said...

Like mother, like daughter. I remember fondly all the times that my daughter spent time styling my hair back in the 80s. She gave me some great looks, but mostly she tried different things and then gave me that delightful little girl giggle at the results.

Fondly, entipou

glow owl said...

fabulous green dress!