Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another Jet!

Pete and I had been hoping to find Henry a garage sale bike and yesterday we hit the jackpot! I went to school for a bit to work on report cards and Pete drove by the same way to take the kids to a car seat safety check event (with hot dogs and ice cream) and we both saw a garage sale happening across the street from my school. Pete called me to say that he saw some bikes out there. I knew the family from school- they have twin boys, one of whom was in my class a couple years ago. So I called to inquire and stopped over when I was finished working. Not only were they quality Trek bikes, but they had two (twins, you know) so Henry got his choice of color! We paid $50, which isn't bad considering it was $200 new and it's in very good shape. I didn't want to bargain with them either, since I knew the money was going to the boys. We did end up putting the training wheels on, so Henry could ride around by himself and we could avoid severe back strain. But here he is on his first go without training wheels. I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have on training wheels, by the way. I'm a little torn.


6 comments:

W.F. Decker said...

Ix-nay on the training wheels. He'll get it, maybe with a little help.

Your friend, disteo

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

I agree with your dad. We did it for way too long, and only just took them off. Wish we'd done that (MUCH) earlier!

fredecker said...

Take the training wheels off and take the pedals off.
Not having pedals will let him focus on figuring out the steering before he needs to worry about braking and pedaling.
Training wheels are for suckers.

Joyce said...

Nice ride Henry!
Here's my 2 cents worth: Make sure the seat is low enough so his feet can just barely touch the ground. He can sit on the seat, coast a bit (with feet just dangling, not on the pedals) and right himself with his feet when his balance starts to get a bit wobbly. Once he learns the balance trick there will be no stopping him!
word verification: obbles

Anonymous said...

I'm worried whether he has training wheels or not... in spite of the helmet! Grammie

carrie said...

i have no strong feelings about training wheels, but i know that i love the flames on that helmet.