Thursday, May 14, 2009

Trials

So, I may have mentioned that we've been dealing with sleep issues lately. It's been a bit of a challenge. I, of course, made the mistake of being too optimistic. "Oh! My baby is a fabulous sleeper! She's so easy to put down! So different from how Henry was!" And now? Not so much. I had to mention it to her day care lady, of course, and she was all full of unsolicited advice (my favorite kind!) First she tried to tell me that Clara was just trying to create a power struggle and manipulate me, some of my favorite theories about children! Later she told me that she learned from Super Nanny (an ideal source!) that I just have to be firm with Clara and not give in to her. I'm not even going to go into how philosophically annoying this all was to me, on multiple levels. I started to write about it and it was turning into a rant, which wouldn't be interesting to most of you anyway. So. I'll leave it at that. I just need to say that babies are inherently needy- and that's not a bad thing. It's survival for them. And, sure, I could "demand" that she sleep on her own. I could let her sob and scream for me until she falls asleep...but what is that teaching her? That her mom won't come when she's sad or scared or feels like she needs me. That is not what I want my children to learn. So, yes, it's difficult for all of us right now, and we're maybe not getting the best sleep. But hopefully she's learning that I will be here for her, that she will be okay and, eventually, she will be secure enough in that that she can soothe herself even when I'm not there.
Here's a little video from last Sunday:



I was going to write about something funny Henry just said...but now I've lost it. Right now we're hiding out in the family room while Clara works with Beth Anne. I'm a little crazed because what we really need to be doing is laundry and packing for our trip to Minnesota this weekend. We get to visit Anders- who is growing up without me. And Pete's cousin is getting married- so Henry gets to go to the first wedding where he actually knows what's going on. I think it's going to be a blast. Pete and I are very excited for dancing with the kids! There will surely be many cute pictures to share when we return!
Speaking of cute:Pete and his coworkers decided to have "Dress Like a Clown" day yesterday. I think they all looked quite snazzy. I wouldn't mind if Pete dressed like this every day. It's very Don Draper.

2 comments:

amber c. said...

I really wish Pete would dress like a real clown some day at work.

And, I can empathize with Clara's sleep issues but it doesn't make me feel much better for the next year or so of my night times!

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Oh my. The power struggle and manipulation theories - particularly those that target the under-threes - are some of my favourite, too. I don't know where people get these, but if they could un-get them, and so rid the world of unnecessary and absurd sound bites, it would do alot of people alot of good.

It sounds like you are doing a great job, and your theories and ideas are right on, so my own addition to recently unsolicited advice would be: Keep it up!