Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Highly Recommended!

Last night Pete and I were able to sneak away for a wonderful last-minute date. Grandma and Bampa took Henry with them to the Botanic Gardens for the carrillon concert so that we could go downtown for some dinner and music. Last month when we were in Iowa City for Jazz Fest we ran into a woman who used to hire me as a babysitter for her then 3 children. I naturally asked what the kids were up to and found out that Bridget, who was two when I started sitting for them, is now a very accomplished jazz bassist . Her group Lake Street Dive was performing at a great little restaurant/club called Katerina's that had some excellent, unique Greek food. If you check out Bridget's website you'll see that the group plays next in Minneapolis and St. Paul, and then they head to the Sanctuary in ICIA. If you are at all able to go see them perform, I highly recommend that you do so. At the website you can click on 'sounds' and hear Bridget's award-winning composition "Sometimes When I'm Drunk and You're Wearing My Favorite Shirt" and also a piece she wrote called "Lake McBride". I wish I had some photos to make this post more interesting to look at. I encourage you to check out the links and go see this girl!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey betsy, it's sarah here!

ted and i love katerina's, although we haven't been there in ages. and if you want a photo, here's one i took there a few years ago.

glad you got a chance to go into the city. we still live in the city but don't get out enough, that's for sure...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...did you introduce yourself? Did she remember you? Do you feel as if you are growing old? Glad you and your sweetie were able to go. And if I remember correctly, on Thursday you will be going to see Ferris!