Saturday, June 24, 2006

Beautification

I'm not sure I'd ever heard my mom say "beautification" before this weekend...but there it was, popping out of her mouth about each median and bare scrap of land we seemed to drive by this week. Finally, this morning, we were able to do some beautification in my yard. Mom had purchased several trees and plants for me at the Project Green sale in ICIA. It took me a while to sort out which plants I wanted, and where they might go, but we finally worked out some good solutions.
First, Henry had to check out Mom's handiwork in protecting the peppers.


Then I had to plant some friends for the peppers...what do we call these? Rock roses? Something like that...I have some in yellow and in red now.


Then Mom had to take some really hot pictures of me digging a hole for the Gingko tree. How about that angle?!?!?


And some sweet pictures of me giving the sapling a little tlc. If we stick around here long enough, Henry will be able to climb this tree and find a secret reading spot like I used to do as a kid in my front yard. Gotta love the Gingko!


Mom moved a few day lillies from the middle of our circle of bricks. Tomorrow I will plant a Redbud in there. She planted the lillies out front along our driveway. She also cleaned out a space where the hostas were going wild. I'll put a little dwarf Korean Lilac in there.


In the meantime, Beth fed Henry a little snack. Henry loves Beth. He calls her "Bah!" They're favorite game is "I'm gonna get you!"


I ended my portion of the gardening today by putting some wildflowers in this barren little spot by the porch. Actually, the Asiatic lillies are blooming quite beautifully there right now, you can just catch the corner of one in this shot. I put in some yellow foxglove, a forget-me-not and a couple other things I can't remember right now.



I love my yard so much. It's so much fun to decide where things should go, and to get in there with my hands. I can't wait to see some of these things flourish and grow!

2 comments:

amber c. said...

fun! that maybe even inspires me to do something more in our yard. like buy and lay sod that we still haven't done! great additions! love the gingko!

Anonymous said...

Hey...good gardening! Hope the ginko and redbud do well. The little yellow flowers are "moss roses". Nice pics.