Monday, June 12, 2006

That's My Boy...

I didn't get ANY photos from the barbeque party we had on Saturday. It was a nice time, despite the cold weather which drove us inside, and despite the fact that some of our favorite people couldn't attend due to last minute circumstances....not that our friends who were there AREN'T our favorite people....we just have so many favorites.
Anyway, the point is that I got no photos until the next morning when we were cleaning up. Henry, still in his pajamas, had to put his party shoes back on (just can't let go of that party feeling) and help clean up.

Later that day we braved the chilliness so that Henry could still get his outside ("ai-yi") fix. I donned my gardening gloves to pull a couple weeds. Henry was intrigued, so we thought we'd try his out for size too. Sue H. gave them to him, along with his gardening tools, as a housewarming gift. We got the left glove on with all of the fingers in the right spots, but the right hand lost patience with me.

When we finally came in from the cold we decided to make some cookies to surprise Papa when he got home from practicing with his new rock and roll cover band. Henry very much enjoyed helping with the cookies. He's a big fan of the stand mixer. He did not, however, like limits being put upon his cookie dough tasting. When I finally had to say that that was really-no, really this time-the last taste, he put up a bit of a fit. The fit continued through multiple attempts at distraction...including suggestions of water drinking and dog petting, until finally, in desperation, I put on the Muppets. I just grabbed the first one I could get my hands on. Turns out Henry's a huge fan of James Coburn. If you have not seen this episode, I highly recommend it. It has some very good Animal bits.

I suggested to Henry that perhaps he would like to sit in his bouncy seat. He preferred to stand. He clapped at all the appropriate times.
On a sidebar...tonight while I was in class learning about the PPVT-III and the EVT vocabulary tests, I had a realization that Henry could probably already get through the first stage or two of the EVT. This is a test in which students are shown a picture and asked to give one word describing that picture. Henry would have scored perfectly on the prompts which showed pictures of: cup, mouth, dog, hair and clock. There's nothing like the feeling of realizing your child is ready for the world of standardized testing.

2 comments:

amber c. said...

aw, hank, don't let your mom fool you. she's always been a cookie dough hound. i remember several occasions of us making late night chocolate chip cookies so she could taste the dough. however, back in those days she preferred the stir-with-a-wooden-spoon-until-your-arm-hurts method! i don't remember her thinking cookie dough could be BAD for you!

Carrie and Rob said...

What would Henry get on the ACT, that's what i'd like to know.

-r