Thursday, May 24, 2007

Despite best efforts

Despite diligent tulle-wrapping of my ginkgo and my redbud, a few little buggers sneaked in. Do you see this guy peering at me over the leaf? Something chewed through the netting on this tree, but I don't think it was the cicada- everything I've read says they don't chew. Hm. A mystery.
Henry found some sweet little yellow flowers in our lawn today, but he kept telling me not to photograph him. "No! Those are MY flowers!"
Here's one of my birthday gifts from Pete. It was so nice to be able to listen to music outside today. I love my ipod, but I rarely want to listen to it with headphones.
Here's the planting Henry and I did this morning. I spent quite a bit of time weeding this area this morning. I don't remember having such a time with weeds last year. I think I'm just going to have to give in and embrace the usefulness of wood chips...though I hate how they look when they get old and icky. I may also have to embrace my true nature and realize that things in my life just weren't meant to be neat and tidy. It was nice to get the dahlias and the dusty miller in the ground. Now I just need to plant the moss roses and alyssum. It's too hot now though (already at 10:44 AM!) so Henry and I are taking a Sesame Street break.
You can just barely see the NeverKink hose in the upper corner there, not kinking!

1 comment:

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Weird... a (Strasbourgian) friend of mine was just talking about the (Chicagoan) cicada phenomenon tonight, as we apéritif-ed on the terrace...

& Henry is as cute as ever--!

& Pete has a special gift-giving gene, methinks...