Thursday, May 31, 2007

Me and my Dad

Dad and Kathie came into town Tuesday night to spend a few days. Today was Dad's birthday and he and I spent the day building my birthday present. He and Pete had gone out to buy the lumber the night before, so we were able to get started working right away this morning.
Here's Henry doing some of his work with a digger in the sand while Dad works in the background.
Here are the plans sitting with my iced mocha and other various items.
Dad taught me to use the saw and I didn't pull a Will on my finger.
I didn't have quite the muscle for the drill, but I managed okay.
Here are Dad and I with the finished product. It was really cool to be able to build something together. I'd never done any sort of project like this before, and it was fun to be able to do it with my Dad!
The part on the left is slatted so that you can do watering and the water will fall through. I'll put some sort of rain bucket under that part. Over on the right, above the can, there is a part on hinges that folds open. That's so you can sweep soil into the receptacle underneath. You can see there's space underneath for pots etc. I guess on the back I could even put hooks for tools or something. The middle of the top is a nice smooth surface. Pete has already commented that it would be a great work bench and he could really carve it up. Ha! He wouldn't dare.
Thanks for the great birthday present, Dad! And for spending your birthday building it with me!

And lest my brothers doubt that I actually did any of the heavy work...

(please note: when I call my husband a dork it's just one of my ways of saying "I love you")

4 comments:

amber c. said...

that's about the neatest dad-daughter project ever! very good work!

Carrie and Rob said...

Good god, you did all of this and neither you nor Pete got hurt? Seeing you with power tools is scary to me. Good work though.

sarah90046 said...

Betsy, you rock! Amateur gardener no longer!!

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

YEAH, BABY! That is so-o-o-o gorgeous!