Sunday, April 06, 2008

Finally! (But for how long?)

We have had some beautiful weather this weekend! Our only plans for today were to enjoy the weather- and that we did. I took an early morning grocery trip and then tried my hand at crepes for the first time (did you see the article on NPR's homepage?). They turned out pretty well for a first try! And Whole Foods sells their own house brand of Nutella, that comes in a cool shaped jar. So, anyway, all fueled up on crepes, hazelnut spread and strawberries, we headed out to the park. Clara has had a couple of brief walks in the Baby Bjorn (see February) and some stroller-walks at the mall, but this was her first real walk where she could sit back and see stuff. She enjoyed it. And then she fell asleep.
Henry had lots of fun at the park...which was swarming with children.
He has no fear going down the gigantic twisty slide that scares the pants off me.
When we got home we had a quick lunch and then Pete and the kids napped. Then I made some lasagna* while Pete and Henry did some cleaning up outside. When I grinned at Henry wearing his hat like this he informed me: "It's not funny. I wear my hat backwards so it doesn't bump the door when I look out." Brilliant.
Pete suggested some wine for dinner (don't mind if I do) and Henry wanted a wine glass too. I found a Henry-sized one for him. He also wanted to do lots of toasting.
Here's what Franklin looked like during dinner. Don't you feel very sad for him? Don't you want to give him just a little bit of your lasagna? Please? Just a tiny taste?
And here's Clara just after dinner. I believe this expression says "You're not going to give me a bath after all, are you? I knew it. You're all talk."
Stay tuned this week for bathroom updating posts. Here's a little teaser......Pineapple Fizz.

*It was pretty good, but I wouldn't call it the Best Lasagna Ever. If I were to make this same recipe again I'd cut the salt, use real ricotta, real parmesean and maybe add one more layer of noodles. It would have been nice with a spicier sausage, but for Henry's sake I just used Italian, non-spicy. Also- I like a little spinach in my lasagna, which Pete lets me get away with as long as I don't try to go all-veggie. Though, he'd eat that too. He's a pretty open-minded eater.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy....hard to stay ahead of Henry....he's thinkin' all the time. And that little Clara...so pretty! I want to see them again!

Anonymous said...

darn the lasagna experience. two of the best i've had were made by 1. my friend amy from st. louis and 2. jamie's mom who uses only mozzarella -- no ricotta or cottage. it was cheese-y tast-y! i can't seem to master either myself.

flyingwaffle said...

Yay for nice weather! I hope it sticks around for you. Heck, I wish you could send it our way. I'm cold!

Ummm...how do you do it? I can't seem to get dinner made beyond omelets or heating up something from the deli and I've got only the one kid! I need some lessons or something.