Sunday, April 20, 2008

Moving Heavy Shit

Here's an excerpt from a little monologue Pete had yesterday. The context: He was installing our new Breeze Catcher clothes-drying rack, which involved moving around a cinder block and some bags of concrete.

"Your brothers love to move heavy shit. Think about it! That's what they love to do. At first I thought they were just testing me- 'Here Pete. Here's a canoe. Prove yourself'. Like, was I good enough to be related to them by marriage*. Then it escalated to pinball machines. 'Help me move this!' They're always moving heavy shit! They love that stuff! 'Here. Help me move these big iron radiators! It'll be awesome.' 'Hey- I know, let's get some big heavy chains and move a washer and dryer down to the basement! It'll be great.'"
I can't seem to find many photos of them all together....but here's a funny old one. And I think it's appropriate that Rob and Will are holding bowling balls. Incredible to think that this was over 10 years ago. Based on the fact that Ellen's drinking a beer, I'd guess 1996.

*He was good enough. My brothers love him. I know this because they treat him the same way they treat each other. They think of crude and humorous insults for each other. They call each other on the phone for advice regarding computers, home repair and music. They make wagers based upon sports and beer. They enjoy eating pizza together, whether I'm there or not. And they'll all think this has turned into a cheesy post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a funny post! I never thought of the moving heavy shit thing before but I believe Pete is on to something. The proof is in the photo...I mean look at them....they are about to "throw" some heavy shit!

Anonymous said...

a very sweet post and a nice homage to the brothers decker...
as rob's wife, i will attest that i have definitely helped lift more heavy shit over the past seven years than in any other period in my life. i'm often not very good at it (lots of stopping--and-putting-down breaks), but somehow he decided to marry me anyway...
pete looks about 15 in that photo! those who zoom in will also see a young orion in the background...

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Great story & great picture! Thanks for a good moment in this Very Bad (and Grey, too) Day.

fredecker said...

I zoomed in on the photo in question and rather than having any deep thoughts about moving heavy shit I had the shit scared out of me.
That face Rob is making is something else. It appears when he goes bowling his eyes roll back in his head and he builds up some sort of internal pressure that has to be released through his mouth.
Yikes, I think I'm going to have nightmares.

Anonymous said...

I too have been talked into moving lots of heavy shit since marrying Will - who do you think moved those radiators when Pete didn't? Luckily Will is very good at figuring out ways that the two of us can move this stuff and doesn't get too annoyed with the giggling fits that seem to come on when I have to move heavy shit.