Tuesday, June 09, 2009

County Fair?

I'm not sure why it's called the "county fair" but my school has an end-of-the-year picnic every year and it's pretty nice. It also happened to be probably the last time we'll see Sharon and the girls, so I mostly just got a couple pictures of them.
Clara showed off some of her walking-on-grass skills while Pete followed along. In the back you can kind of see all the dancing kids on the basketball court. There's always a d.j. and lots of corny techno music.
We ate hot dogs and watermelon and chips and homemade desserts. Clara showed Sinéad (and anyone else who would look) her shoes.
Henry tried the cake walk. I thought we had an ally in the mom who was running it, but she was truly playing fair and just pulling random numbers. The first time was okay, the second loss ended in tears. I'm all about teaching Henry to be a good sport and helping him understand that you win some and you lose some, but this was a little too much for me. I told him we'd make our own cakes at home and have a cake walk there. I've already got big plans, so stay tuned for a blog post on that in a few more days. (I wish we could invite Eleanor and Sofia and Zach and whoever else is out there! I promise you'd win a cupcake!)
Finally, here are Clara and her papa having a grand old time. Now both kids are sacked out. Clara is on her belly with her butt up in the air...snoring.
I should be working on stuff for my class, but I'll probably be doing the same soon.

2 comments:

W.F. Decker said...

Tell Henry that I tried and tried to win a cake walk at every school carnival I ever went to, and that was lots of them. But my Mom made great cakes, so I always had a winner at home anyway.

Your friend, tolenti

carrie said...

yay for clara's sweater! boo for the lame not-everyone's-a-winner cake walk.