Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Last Goodbye*

Way back in 1999 (or was it 1998?) I decided to pick up and follow Pete to Chicago. The first few months, while I tried to find a job (other than Barnes & Noble barista), I just stayed with him (and his roomies) in his place on Montrose. Pete was working in the International department at Shure back in those days, which meant he was taking frequent trips out of the country. I didn't really know anybody in town until Pete introduced me to Kevin. Kevin used to make sure I had something to do so I wouldn't get too bored and move back to Iowa. We'd go out to dinner or movies or to free shows at the House of Blues...(the benefits of working at Shure). I was with Kevin when we hung out and had some beers with the guys from Los Lobos. Cesar Rojas told me all about where to eat in New Orleans. (In case you wonder, he recommends Mothers for breakfast.)
Eventually Pete got moved out of International, I made more friends, Kevin got married and we became friends with Beth too. Together they made a friend for Clara (you've heard of Max) and now they're all picking up and moving to Belize to run a pizza joint. You know, just because. So Friday there was a going-away party at Pete's boss's music studio.
Michelle (Jonah's mom) came with 9-day-old Lucas. I might have absconded with him for a while. Can you tell I'm doing the "you can't have him back!" mom-block?
There was some playing of instruments. Here's Max checking out Pete on the drums.
There were several different arrangements of musicians throughout the night, but for a while these guys launched into "One" (U2). And it just seemed a little emotional.
You can see Jonah waiting patiently with his drumsticks there on his dad's lap. And if you look closely you can see Beth got a little teary watching Max dance.
Anyway....long story short....we're going to miss these folks. I know, now we have a reason to visit Belize (my intended honeymoon destination...alas) but honestly, in this economy?
I guess the best we can hope for is that they have happy reasons to come back, and maybe that Kevin joins facebook.
We love you guys!!
*And really Friday wasn't the actual last goodbye....we had a last-minute Moody's burger with them last night too. Clara just wanted her chance to say bye to Max. Hopefully Beth will post some photos....

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Wait....I've never heard the Los Lobos story before. What else are you holding out on? Before you go to Belize (I've also always wanted to visit there) will you please tell me the story?

word veri: tingwori