Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kitty

We made the decision to have Linus put to sleep this morning. We didn't hear much from her during the night, other than a couple of throw-up incidents. This morning she was in the family room, over by the CDs, obviously just trying to find a place to be comfortable. She was barely walking and her breathing was obviously in distress. I spoke to Henry about it, and there were some tears. He drew a picture for her and took it to where she was then laying in the bathroom. Pete said goodbye to her before going to work and Henry gave her a little love before I took him to camp. When Clara and I got to the vet she agreed that it was the best thing to do. We stayed with her through the first injection* but then let the vet take her in back. I would have liked to have stayed with her...I felt I owed her that, but Clara wasn't happy in her stroller. Here are a couple of my favorite pictures of the kitty from recent years. I had had her since 1995 or so. I have some great pictures of Pete with her when we were in college, and of her checking out the built-in closets in our first condo, and her sleeping on the bed with baby Henry...but I don't have them on the computer.



She was a very sweet kitty, even though she caused us a few headaches in her last couple of years. Hopefully wherever she is now she's able to scratch up furniture and make poop with abandon.

*While I've been pretty upfront with Henry about what was going on- I didn't tell him that it was a shot that the doctor used to help the kitty die. I can only imagine what he would think the next time he had to go in for a shot...

5 comments:

amber c. said...

sweet kitty pics. (also, fitting word verification: purri)

Carrie and Rob said...

so sorry about linus. you gave her all the love a reclusive cat could want for many years. i will miss those once-every-three-visits glances at her--it always seemed special to see her, like a celebrity ("look, there's linus!").

also, verification word: deudo. isn't that part of the perudo dice game? maybe something you shout out?

Joyce said...

Oh Betsy, I'm so sorry about Linus. I know you loved her. The 'Linus sitings' were few and far between, but worth it when they happened. I know you will miss her.
Hugs to you, and Henry as well.

Janice and Mike said...

So sorry Betsy, it is always hard to lose an animal that is oart of your family!

glow owl said...

i heart that little black heart nose.

<3